This is my tenth year writing this blog and I am posting a series of “blast from the past” pics posts from the Beijing bar and restaurant scene. As you will quickly find, I’m not a professional photographer, but these shots nevertheless capture the scene as I saw it. This post includes pics from five places in 2009:
- Frank’s Place was celebrating its twentieth birthday and founder Frank Siegel, a key player in starting Beijing’s modern bar scene, had his jersey retired.
- Apothecary, backed by a team that included Leon Lee, Max Levy, Daisuke Onishi and Motonari Uchiyama, had just opened.
- Salud in Sanlitun, led by veteran bartender Jackson Bai was a budget-friendly option and, on this day, the perfect place to watch the biggest snowball fight I’ve seen in Beijing.
- Zeta Bar in Beijing Hilton was home to a wide range of events, including cocktail training session like the one shown here.
- And former sports bar Danger Doyle’s near Workers Stadium hosted what was, at that time, a pretty big craft beer tasting.
More posts coming soon!