This is my tenth year writing this blog and I am posting a series of “blast from the past” pics posts from the Beijing bar and restaurant scene. As you will quickly find, I’m not a professional photographer, but these shots nevertheless capture the scene as I saw it. This post includes pics from five places in 2009:
- Frank’s Place was celebrating its twentieth birthday and founder Frank Siegel, a key player in starting Beijing’s modern bar scene, had his jersey retired.
- Apothecary, backed by a team that included Leon Lee, Max Levy, Daisuke Onishi and Motonari Uchiyama, had just opened.
- Salud in Sanlitun, led by veteran bartender Jackson Bai was a budget-friendly option and, on this day, the perfect place to watch the biggest snowball fight I’ve seen in Beijing.
- Zeta Bar in Beijing Hilton was home to a wide range of events, including cocktail training session like the one shown here.
- And former sports bar Danger Doyle’s near Workers Stadium hosted what was, at that time, a pretty big craft beer tasting.
More posts coming soon!Check out my lists of Beijing food deals and drink deals. Also get updates via Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. And check out my sibling sites Grape Wall of China, World Baijiu Day and World Marselan Day. If this site helped you find new bars, restaurants, foods and drinks, or saved you money, consider helping to cover the hosting and other costs with a WeChat or PayPal donation.